26.6.14

e.l.f. Mineral Face Primer, Radiant Glow, Review + Swatches




I don't generally like primers. Whatever, sue me, I just don't. The ones I've tried make my face feel clogged, oily, and make it very difficult to apply my makeup. I know that this effect is the opposite of the intended effect of primers, but I apply them according to the maker's instructions so you tell me.

Instead of a primer, I normally just apply sunscreen to my freshly cleaned and toned face and, if I need more coverage, I'll throw on some BB cream. This works very, very well for me so I hadn't had much need for a different routine.

In my desperation to get free shipping on my most recent e.l.f. splurge, I added this Mineral Face Primer in the summeriest color I could find, Radiant Glow.

REVIEW + SWATCHES


Description from e.l.f.'s website:
Transform your face into a flawless and smooth canvas with the Mineral Infused Face Primer. Developed to combat against excess oil, flaky dryness, enlarged pores and fine lines. This clear multipurpose skin primer will prepare your skin so makeup goes on evenly for a long lasting satin finish.
Ingredients list from e.l.f.'s website:
Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclohexasiloxane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone,Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Phenoxyethanol May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Red 40 Lake (CI 16035), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Ultramarines (CI 77007), Chromium Oxide Greens (CI 77288), Tin Oxide (CI 77861)


Radiant Glow is made up of honey-colored small glitter bits suspended in a clear base.

Here is what the product looks like when it is first dispensed, like a honeyish blob.


The product is silicone-based which makes it spread and blend into the skin very easily. Like most silicone-based primers, it is lightweight but still makes my skin feel unnaturally greasy.

Now, once it is blended, you can see that it is not just a little subtle shimmer. No honey, this is a full-on vampires-in-the-sunlight-á-la-Twilight.

Here are way too many pictures just to show you exactly how shimmery it is:






Now I put my favorite foundation, Bourjois Healthy Mix in 51 Vanille Clair, on the left half of my hand. The foundation luckily tones down the massive shimmer and just leaves a more subtle luminosity.


Even though the foundation does certainly tone it down, it really isn't the most natural-looking shimmer anyway. If I want a glowy finish I'll just stipple on some e.l.f. Shimmering Facial Whip over my primer (er, I mean sunscreen and/or BB cream) and under my foundation. This gives me a very natural dewy look, and so I do it quite often. At only $1 per Whip, they are much more cost-effective as well.

CONCLUSION

I don't much like this primer. That said, I don't much like any primer. So keep in mind that I may be biased, but even still I'd recommend just mixing some Shimmering Facial Whips into your clear primer or foundation to give you a bit of shimmer.

Regardless, you can buy this primer (along with other colors) for $6.00 down below.

 BUY HERE