24.6.14

Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner Review + Swatches



3/8/2016: NOT vegan, NOT cruelty free

REVIEW + SWATCHES

Description from Maybelline's website:
• Oil-free formula holds highly concentrated pigments in a clear gel base
• Smudge-proof and waterproof for 24 hours
• Most intense line for lasting drama                                                    
• Safe for sensitive eyes and ophthalmologist-tested
• Contact lens safe
Ingredients list from drugstore.com:
 Cyclopentasiloxane, Polypropylsilsesquioxane, Ceresin, Isododecane, Cyclohexasiloxane, Caprylyl Methicone, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Disodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Propylene Carbonate, Candelilla Cera (Euphorbia Cerifolia Wax) (Candelilla Wax), Caprylyl Glycol, Aluminum Hydroxide, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Silica, Tin Oxide, May Contain (+/-):, CI 77492, CI 77499 (Iron Oxides), Mica, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77007 (Ultramarines), CI 77510 (Ferric Ferrocyanide), CI 77288 (Chromium Oxide Greens), CI 77289 (Chromium Hydroxide Green), CI 77742 (Manganese Violet), CI 42090 (Blue 1 Lake), CI 19140 (Yellow 5 Lake), CI 77510 Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide
Charcoal

Charcoal
Charcoal is a halfway between satin and matte dark gray with micro shimmer, which change colors based on the light. In the pot they seem blue and red, but on my eyes I only see lighter gray flecks.

I prefer using gray to brown when I need a lighter look, so I like using this color when I wear pastels/otherwise light eyeshadow.

Charcoal, thin and wide
The formula is, you guessed it, creamy. I've heard people compare these to MAC Fluidlines, but I wouldn't know since I don't like MAC.

Application is fairly straightforward and simple, although getting a very sharp wing is difficult. I've been able to get sharper wings with other gel eyeliners, like NYX's, but this just isn't one of them. There is also a bit of difficulty with building up color on the wing; somehow I always seem to have a patchy wing, no matter how much I apply. Setting these gels with a powder eyeshadow help a lot with the opacity, staying powder, and non-smudge-ability. Regardless, they fade badly throughout the day, constantly transfer, and smudge at the lightest touch.

Blackest Black

Blackest Black
Blackest Black is a true matte black. Even without setting it with powder, this eyeliner looks like a powder.

Blackest Black, thin and wide
This color is more pigmented than Charcoal, as you can see from the swatches. The formula, staying powder, smudge-ability, etc. are all identical to Charcoal. These aren't my favorite gel liners, not by a long shot, but they work. I keep cotton buds with me to clean up the transfer smudges throughout the day, but even still it's annoying to look in the mirror and see nearly raccoon eyes.

Very much unlike Maybelline's description on their website, these eyeliners are decidedly not 24hr, smudgeproof, or waterproof. I do have sensitive eyes, though, and so I can confirm that these do not bother my eyes at all. Giving them some credit where it's due, these liners absolutely add definition and drama to eyes -- but so do every other eyeliner ever! If you're going to buy a gel eyeliner, you certainly do not need these.

CONCLUSION

Don't get it. Like I said before, I still use these but that's just because I want to use them up and buy more. If you want a recommendation for a still cheap but better (in my opinion) gel eyeliner, go with NYX's Gel Smudger & Liner.

If you have a thing for smudgy, transferring, sometimes streaky gel eyeliners, you can buy them for $9.99.

BUY HERE