13.6.14

Summertime favorite: NYX Matte Finish Setting Spray



3/8/2016: POSSIBLY not vegan

My skin isn't too oily, so I consider it 'normal', but occasionally my lovely matte makeup will become very shiny. Dewy is nice, on other people, but on my I prefer my skin to be very, very matte.

It soon became apparent that I would need powder for touching up. I used to wear powder foundation all the time, so I would just carry the compact with me and use that to touch up but that resulted in looking overdone and feeling heavy.

When I switched to liquid foundation (Bourjois Healthy Mix is my holy grail foundation) I also bought the cult classic Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder. It smells nice, I'll give it that, but I didn't find it to be as great a product as it is often considered. Nevertheless, I carried the little round package with me along with a brush wherever I went which not only gave me matte skin but also broken packaging, a powdery purse, and a kinky brush. I would not recommend it.

So, then I tried Palladio Rice Loose Powder. It was a bit of a splurge to be honest; I was swayed mainly by the pretty packaging and the ability to get free shipping on Ulta if I added it to my cart. I prefer Palladio's to Rimmel's, although I couldn't tell you why because I don't know. The downside to this powder is that I truly cannot carry it with me everywhere unless I want to lose the product very quickly.

And behold, I bought the NYX Matte Finish Setting Spray to the sound of angels singing. It sets my makeup, cools my face, lasts for a damn long time, gives me a perfect finish, removes that awful oily feeling, and fits snugly and soundly in my purse. I still need to reapply, but less often than with the powders and the act itself of reapplying is a breeze.

This will be my first summer wearing makeup (I started in Septemberish) and though the thought seems daunting, I now have the proper tool to tackle it head-on.