19.4.15

Lorac afterGLO Palette Tutorial






I've had the Lorac afterGLO palette (see my review of it here) for a little under a year. I was drawn to it last summer because of the nice selection of nearly-matte pastels, as well as shimmers and nudes to fully round-out a look.

After I got the palette I unfortunately didn't do much with it. A few colors, such as the shimmery gold and matte white, I did use in other looks but mostly I left this palette untouched. I think the main reason was that the pastel colors are truly that: very pastel, and not very opaque. I think I was expecting to create bolder looks with the palette, and was possibly disappointed when my expectation turned out to not be reality.

This spring I've taken a liking to very understated and subtle, yet colorful, eyes. I've been rummaging through the depths of my collection to find perfect colors for experimentation this spring, and when my hand passed over this particular palette, I knew that I'd stumbled across and old-new favorite for this season.

I cracked open the palette, popped some primer on my lids, and set to work trying out different colors for a nice spring look. This look in particular is very peachy and coral, yet -- and this is my new favorite word here -- subtle, and from a distance it even looks very neutral and possibly even nude. At first I thought that on darker skintones the look may not be as subtle as it is here, but actually these colors seem to be pretty universal which I'm happy about. If you'd like to see this palette on someone with darker skin, you can check out this video.

Anyway! I've talked just about enough. On to the tutorial!

TUTORIAL


First I primed my lids, as is usually the first step in eye looks. I used what I thought was an eye primer, but turns out to actually be a concealer from Evelyn Iona. I got it in my Ipsy bag, and it lacked a label so I had to guess. This came as a surprise to me because I actually have been using this as a primer for a while and I really love it, so keep that in mind if you own this concealer!


I typically apply primer with my fingers, just patting it on my lids up to the brow, and around the under of my eye as well. I sometimes use eye primer as an under eye concealer, which works great in this case because I apparently was using a concealer all along. Oh well.

Note that in this picture I don't have any makeup on other than the primer itself, so excuse the naked skin around my eye.


Next I picked up the coral color from our belle of the ball, the afterGLO palette. I used an e.l.f. Concealer brush, it's a bit stiff but I really like it for patting on eye shadows.


I put the color on the middle of my lid, being careful not to take it much beyond my crease. It's a light enough color that you could blend it up a bit more, but I like keeping my colors pretty much resigned to the mobile lid, makes it all a bit more wearable I find. I kept the color off of my inner corner, but pulled it out to the outer edge of my lid.


Next I went into the purple shade with an e.l.f. Eyeshadow "C" brush. I find this brush is pretty good at both packing color onto the lid, and defining your crease or even you're outer "C".

I wanted to use the purple as a defining shade in my crease, so I only dipped the very tip of the brush into the shadow. Then I held the pigmented part of the brush to my crease and swept back and forth to give the definition and color I wanted.


You can see a whisp of the color on the outside of my lid, and even blended in towards the middle a bit, but this is an extremely light color. What you can see above was the result of me going back and forth from shadow to lid multiple times.

If you like purples but generally find them too intense, then this is the purple for you!


For the inner highlight I picked this pinky-champagne color. The brush I used it on is a no-name smudge brush from Makeup For You.


Somewhat needless to say, but I smudged this into my inner corner, and blended it into the coral shade. I also swept a little bit along my lower lash line, but only a very small amount, and not all the way across.


The final shade we'll be using is this most gorgeous gold. I applied it with my finger, just dipping straight into the color and patting onto my lids.


I dabbed it right onto the apex of my eye, where shimmer often goes. I suppose you could have also used this color as your inner highlight, but meh. We're trying to use as many colors from this palette as we can, I guess.

Another option, admittedly a lot more daring than this current look, is using a bright pop of yellow on the inner corner. I like using Coastal Scents' Bright Yellow hotpot, it's a true yellow and not chartreuse.


Next slap on some mascara. I've been meaning to get to a review of Too Faced's Better Than Sex mascara I picked up around November, so I'm killing two birds with one stone here.

I typically don't like wearing eyeliner in the spring, I prefer to keep it very light and natural while still as colorful as I can get away with. That said, I'm all for voluptuous lashes!


Here I am with mascara on, as well as a bit of cleanup with the rest of my eye. I put Nyx Wonder Pencil in Light along my lower waterline, added a neutral shadow between my crease and brow bone, threw on some concealer that I knew was concealer, and did my brows.

That concludes this tutorial! I hope you enjoyed it, and I look forward to writing more because these are fun!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts; I love comments! Please just keep it civil.