6.3.16

e.l.f. Smudge Pots Swatches + Reviews




Top Left, Moving Clockwise: Brownie Points, Wine Not, Ain't That Sweet, Cruisn' Chic
Center: Poppin' Party



Depressed over the non-vegan, non-cruelty free Maybelline's Color Tattoo Cream Eyeshadow, I decided to pick up these delightful little pots. I found them at my local Target, where I often can find e.l.f. products.

On my first visit, I only bought the shade Cruisin' Chic, as it was the shade that seemed closest to my natural lid color. As you can see from the picture above, I've used this product quite a lot! I immediately fell in love with it and went back to buy the other four shades shown.

For everyday wear, these are my go-to products. I use them as a base for other eyeshadows, or sometimes just by themselves. Either way, I adore the way these look, feel, and last.

REVIEW

Description from elfcosmetics.com:
This smooth gel formula glides on perfectly. Use it as a long-lasting eyeshadow or eyeliner! Enriched with Vitamin E to nourish and hydrate the delicate eye area.
    Ingredients list from elfcosmetics.com:
    Dimethicone, Caprylyl Methicone, Ozokerite, Phenyl Trimethicone, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Mica, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Calcium Titanium Borosilicate, Tin Oxide, Tocopheryl Acetate (Ve), Propylparaben May Contain: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Ultramarines (CI 77007)
    $3 for one 0.19oz pot

    Wine Not



    These pots have really nice packaging. From the sides it seems as though the entire pot is full of product, though from the top or bottom you can see there's far less. Still, it's a very substantial amount. My favorite shade, Cruisin' Chic, has been in near-daily use for about 9 months now and I still have quite a bit left.

    The texture is light, creamy, and almost fluffy. Hard to apply with a brush, unless you're using it as an eyeliner (which I wouldn't recommend, I've had difficulty getting it to cooperate as a liner). Once it's on your eyelids, it feels very comfortable and natural. It dries in place, but doesn't feel drying. None of these shades, except Ain't That Sweet, if you really pack it on, crease. They stay in place, looking freshly applied through even the longest days.

    As for application, I just use my fingers. I tap my index finger onto the product, dabbing it up, and then pat it on my lids. It's really easy to blend out with fingers, and you get a few seconds after application to quickly wipe away mistakes.

    While still relatively fresh, I optionally apply shadows on top. All of these are fantastic eyeshadow bases, and I find myself using them more than a "plain" primer or base. Shadows layered on top can be blended and brushed around just like any other shadow, with little fallout. These, as a base, aren't exactly "sticky" yet they do the job very well.



    Brownie Points is a rich, coppery cinnamon.

    This formula is slightly firmer than Cruisin' Chic or Wine Not, but about the same texture as Poppin' Party. Something about the darker colors, I think, because Ain't That Sweet is about the texture of a whipped mousse.

    When applied to skin, if you attempt to swipe it on instead of patting, you'll be left with a decidedly less beautiful dark brown. It's not a bad color, but definitely not what you would expect looking in the pot. The most success I've had with this color is from getting a lot on your fingers, and patting it on. That said, it doesn't look bad at all if you just want the faint dark brown wash of color.


    Wine Not is a red-toned metallic chestnut.

    It has the same texture as Cruisn' Chic, less firm than Poppin' Party or Brownie Points, and far more stable than Ain't That Sweet.

    This is my second favorite shade, next to Cruisin' Chic. It's such a lovely color for autumn, and goes very well with most shades from Too Faced's Chocolate Bar Palette (cruelty free, not vegan -- I bought it a while ago).

    The color is very thick and pigmented no matter how you apply it. There is a certain amount of customization though, you can decide whether you want a pigmented pop or sheer layer.


     Cruisin' Chic is a metallic beige, with very slight greenish shift in light.

    Ah, the original! The shade that started my obsession with these little pots of gold. It works very well with my skintone, looking very subtle and light on my eyes.

    Same exact texture and uses as Wine Not, above.




    Poppin' Party is a deep, royal purple with satin finish. In light, small notes of copper can be picked up.

    This is the shade I've used least among these 5. There are two main reasons for this. One, I don't often wear super dramatic smokey eyes. I realized I couldn't spend hours on my makeup each day as soon as I looked at the homework I have assigned this semester. Two, it's difficult to get the purple pigment to actually show up. Like Brownie Points you really have to gently pat it, and even then it's very subtle. This color definitely has its place, I just don't find much occasion to use it.

    The texture is very firm and hard to get any more than a thin layer on your finger while applying. I find that in order to get an opaque layer, I need to repeatedly pick up extra product and gingerly pat it on my lids.


     Ain't That Sweet is a light, pearly baby pink.

    I feel I'm justified in calling this shade the outlier of my collection, because of the light shade, lighter texture, and my personal use of it.

    This shade looks gorgeous, on my skin it's a very sheer pink-tinted champagne. From my Google Images research, it seems to show up more true-to-pot on darker skintones. On me, it's a perfect highlight -- and that's what I use it for!

    Yes, I do use it as an eyeshadow base every now and again but I actually mainly use it as a highlighter. Easy to blend into foundation and it lasts all day, it's actually my favorite highlighter that I own.

    The texture is very strange. I've gone back and forth in my mind whether it's more like pudding that hasn't set, or mousse, or whipped cream, so just imagine it as some middle point between those three. It's hard to manage, simply because you can pick up far more than you need with a very gentle motion.

    Application for this shade is fairly standard. Eyeshadow or highlight, I use my fingers and pat. It's hard to build up any strong pigmentation, so keep in mind you're just going to get a sheer layer with this cream. On eyes, this is the only shade out of the ones I own that creases at all. And that's only if I wear it bare; if I add powder shadows on top of it, there's no problem and it functions just like any other shade.


    As a bonus to prove their staying power, I let the shadows set for about 5 minutes and then roughly attempted to smudge them with two fingers. Only Ain't That Sweet and Poppin' Party budged slightly, and that may have been due to me applying them later than the first three. At any rate, these have ridiculous staying power, and in my experience are very waterproof.

    CONCLUSION

    I really love these products, if you couldn't already tell. At 3 dollars apiece, you really can't go wrong. I would absolutely recommend buying Wine Not and Cruisin' Chic, and if you're lily white like me and in the market for a new highlighter, absolutely pick up Ain't That Sweet. Depending on what shades you really enjoy, there's nothing wrong with Poppin' Party or Brownie Points, just a matter of personal preference.

    No comments :

    Post a Comment

    Let me know your thoughts; I love comments! Please just keep it civil.