21.6.14

Maybelline Master Glaze Blush Stick Swatches + Review

Starting from top let, moving clockwise: Warm Nude, Coral Sheen,  Just Pinched Pink, Make a Mauve

3/8/2016: NOT vegan, NOT cruelty free

SWATCHES

Coral Sheen
Coral Sheen is a lovely vibrant orangey coral. There is very fine shimmer, but it isn't too noticeable aside from adding luminosity. On the skin this blush looks very natural, and is very similar (albeit a bit more orange) than NARS' Orgasm blush.

Coral Sheen, unblended and blended

Warm Nude
Warm Nude is a toasty bronze with very noticeable gold shimmer. This is more of a bronzer than a blush, although it looks nice applied to the apples of the cheeks as well. It isn't great for contouring because of the sparkle, but it's still doable. If you want a very subtle look but still need color on your cheeks, a small amount of this applied to your apples seems very natural and pretty.


Warm Nude, unblended and blended
Make a Mauve
Make a Mauve is a dark plummy wine. All of these glaze sticks seem to have light shimmer in them, but it's really only noticeable in Warm Nude. This color is unarguably purple in the tube, but on my skin it becomes a bit more red. I like using this one in the winter as a nice reddish flush, because I tend to enjoy stronger blush looks.

Make a Mauve, unblended and blended
Just Pinched Pink
Just Pinched Pink is my favorite of my Glaze Sticks. It looks perfectly natural and fresh on my skin, without looking like I'm wearing blush. I use this blush for my 'makeup? I'm not wearing makeup' makeup looks.

I think that a 50/50 mixture of this and Coral Sheen would make a pretty spot-on dupe of NARS' Orgasm, which I have desperately been wanting a cream form of (that doesn't cost $39).

Just Pinched Pink, unblended and blended

REVIEW

I prefer cream and liquid blushes over powder blushes, which sucks because most of the world doesn't agree with me and so I have a shortage of products. Luckily, these Glaze Sticks are gorgeous colors that help to feed my addiction.

The colors are great, yes, but unfortunately the quality isn't the greatest. They are easily smudgeable, although less so once you add a powder. Pigmentation is very good, and buildable. You can go from barely blushing to sunburnt and everywhere in between with these sticks and a good stippling brush. They seem to fade throughout the day but I haven't conducted any sort of study so I could be wrong. I personally am okay with the fading, since I always put way too much on at first. That way by the end of the day I stop looking sunburned and start looking normal.

Like I've said before, I -- along with nearly everybody else who wears makeup -- love NARS' Orgasm blush. I hate powder blushes, though, so I desperately want a cream version (but NOT The Multiple because it's not worth it). Lo and behold, mixing Coral Sheen with Just Pinched Pink produce a fairly Orgasm-ic result.