13.7.14

From Here on Out This Blog Will Be Cruelty Free

I honestly didn't know that some cosmetics brands tested on animals. In my ignorance I blindly assumed that this is America and we're beyond things like that, but I have now come to find out that I was very wrong.

After doing research on the matter, I have decided to only buy cruelty free cosmetics from this point forward. I see now that animal testing is immoral, inhumane, and needs to be abolished.

Yes, my tone is a bit harsh here but know that the harshness is directed towards companies and brands, not necessarily individuals. If you buy from brands that do test on animals, I am not going to chastise you or call you out or anything like that -- I will think that you are uninformed, however.

Since I find this an important matter, I will go into detail below about how I came to this decision in the hopes that others might come to a similar (or the same!) decision. If you don't care, you don't need to read it.


These are the assertions that I base my moral code on (this has been heavily influenced by Matt Dillahunty and Sam Harris' speeches/debates on morality):
  1. I have an inherent desire to promote my own well-being, and the well-being of those close to me.
  2. Everyone around me has the same desire to promote their own well-being, and the well-being of those close to them.
  3. My actions affect the people around me and vice versa.
  4. Pleasure is generally preferable to pain, happiness is generally preferable to sorrow, kindness is generally preferable to rudeness, life is generally preferable to death.
  5. Generally, if you treat people in a way that promotes their well-being they will reciprocate.
  6. In order to promote my own well-being, I need to recognize that treating others as I would like to be treated is essential to having a peaceful life.
Of course I need to throw in the "generally's" often. Sometimes things that would often be considered immoral become moral because they either prevent a greater evil, or enable a greater good. 

For a long time animal testing was one of these acts that used to be moral, but I believe is now immoral. Animal testing helped us better our understanding of medicine and overall improved health. Undoubtedly there are things we know about curing and treating illness that we never would have known if it weren't for animal testing. Nowadays, however, the testing that is being conducted on animals is simply unnecessary. There are newer, more humane methods available to scientists today that render animal testing obsolete and, need I say it again, immoral.

I won't remove previous posts I've made about non-cruelty free brands, but I will not be posting more of them until they become cruelty-free.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts; I love comments! Please just keep it civil.