8.9.14

Guess who's back -- with better skin!

I've been taking a break. Not really a scheduled break, just a "life is more fun than blog" break. Anyway, I decided to update because I'm feeling kinda bored and I also had some products I want to review. The main thing that's changed in my beauty life is my skincare routine. After taking a long hard look at my skincare routine, or rather skimming over a few stickied threads in /r/skincareaddiction, I changed it up.

Anyway, when I was very young my skin was always crystal clear. Roundabouts puberty that changed, mostly for my chest, shoulders, and back. My face was spared for a bit longer.

When I got facial acne I decided to start using a skincare regimen, and it cleared up all the trouble spots beautifully. My body acne still persisted, but I covered it with clothing and thought nothing much of it. When the summer months rolled around I just sucked up my pride and let my pocked skin show, even though I was very embarrassed by it.

After visits to the dermatologist coupled with a better understanding of my skin, my regimen evolved over time into something more healthy and tailored for my particular skin type. My body acne has subsided quite a bit, though not fully and I do still have some scars that I'd rather not be there. Still, I decided to take action against my body acne in a similar fashion to how I go about eradicating my facial acne.

Without further adieu, my routine:

OLD ROUTINE

AM

  1. If I remembered, I'd run through Dermalogica's Clean Start Kit for my face. My dermatologist recommended it to me and it worked well enough.
  2. I'd apply whatever makeup I wanted to my face and also stronger sunscreen if I needed to.
  3. Nothing for my body aside from sunscreen if I needed it.

PM

  1. If I was wearing makeup, coconut oil to remove it.
  2. In the shower I would just use whatever soap/body wash/cleanser I had on hand to clean my body skin. I applied it and exfoliated with a loofah.
  3. After the shower I would do the nighttime side of Dermalogica's Clean Start kit for my face.
  4. Sometimes I would apply lotion to my body.

Not a very complicated routine. Not very healthy, either. My face was alright except that I kept using sunscreens that had avobenzone in them, which I recently found out has a personal vendetta against me. My skin was seriously under moisturized, though,  and only sometimes would I remember to wear proper sunscreen.

After doing my share of research, I settled on a new routine that now works really well for me.

NEW ROUTINE

AM

  1. Splash face with warm water.
  2. Do a facial OCM with Garden of Wisdom's Olive Oil, sometimes I'll mix in a splash of tea tree oil.
  3. Gently exfoliate my face and wipe off extra oil with a clean washcloth.
  4. Moisturize face and neck with CeraVe Moisturizing Cream (in the tub).
  5. EltaMD UV Physical SPF 49 on my face and neck for sun protection.
  6. If I feel particularly grimy or have been sweating, I'll do steps 1-4 for my body as well.
  7. Sunscreen on exposed areas of my body.

PM


IN THE SHOWER

  1. If applicable, remove makeup with Garden of Wisdom's Coconut Cream.
  2. Wash hair, then put it up in a bun (this is so that my shampoo won't clog the pores on my neck).
  3. Cleanse body with bar soap or Dr. Bronner's soap.
  4. Cleanse acne-prone body areas with Phisoderm Anti-Blemish Body Wash.
  5. Gently exfoliate body using a Salux cloth.
  6. Cleanse face with Dermalogica Clean Start Breakout Clearing Foaming Wash.

OUT OF THE SHOWER

  1. Swipe Stridex Maximum Strength Pads across acne-prone areas, both face and body.
  2. After Stridex dries, I moisturize those areas with CeraVe Moisturizing Cream (in the tub).
  3. A cocktail of various different lotions all over my body, mostly Haus of Gloi Pumpkin Butters and St.
    Ives lotion.
  4. Once my hair has had a bit of time to dry I'll massage hair oil into it and blow-dry with cool air.
  5. After all my lotions have dried, I do a spot treatment.

DURING THE WEEK

I don't do these things every day, but occasionally if I feel my skin needs it I will throw in:
  • French green clay facial, followed by a jojoba oil OCM.
  • Cucumber peel-off facial
  • Dermalogica exfoliating facial

My new routine is undoubtedly longer, but it certainly pays off. I have noticed huge differences in how soft my skin is, as well as how healthy and non-grimy I feel during the day. I still have noticeable sebaceous filaments on, under, and around my nose, as well as on my chin, but I'm trying to like them. Occasionally I'll run over the area with a comedone extractor even though I know that I probably shouldn't. My skin isn't perfect, though I'd never expect it to be, but this routine absolutely helps.

I also have been focusing on drinking more water, not wearing the same shirt twice before washing, not using the same towel twice to dry myself off after a shower, things like that.

1 comment :

  1. Acne is one problem that most people have experienced at some point. Fortunately, there are a lot of ways on how to treat them. And I’m glad that you finally found one that works best for your skin. Also, consulting your dermatologists was a huge help, since you were able to understand the type of your skin and the cause of the acne breakout. And from here, you were able to come up with your new beauty regimen. Anyway, I hope everything is working just fine.

    Glenn Lowe @ Knight and Sanders

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts; I love comments! Please just keep it civil.